THE party season is here and while we are all eager to let our hair down and have some fun after a year of hard work, we need to ensure we don’t overdo it.
This doesn’t count for Christmas day of course! I believe in enjoying yourself over the holidays but still being aware to eat clean as much as you can so you have that buffer for your New Year’s resolution.
If you have been following my weight-loss tips from my November article you should be on the right track to a healthier body and with these tips you will definitely save yourself a lot of hard work in the New Year.
Being healthy is not about dieting every time you’ve put on a bit of weight it’s about creating a lifestyle that is maintainable all year round.
My handy tips for getting through the party season are:
- Ensure you are hydrated and flushing out those nasty toxins from alcohol and bad food.
- Depending on exercise, your climate or how much alcohol you are drinking, you should be having at least two to three litres of water per day. Drinking water also aids in weight-loss.
- If you must drink alcohol ensure that it’s not in excess. Also choose lower calorie beverages such as vodka or gin, soda and fresh lime or if you’re drinking wine, fill half the glass with water and the other half with wine. This will reduce the hangover effects in the morning as well as keep you hydrated.
- Ensure you are eating good quality protein and fresh, seasonal fruit and vegetables to ensure you are getting the essential vitamins and minerals that will promote liver detoxification as well as aid in fat loss. Lean meats, (chicken, pork, turkey, fish), and eggs, nuts, seeds) as well as greens (spinach, kale, bok choy, broccoli, watercress) and tropical fruits (watermelon, papaya, paw paw, rock melon, pineapple) are all essential for the summer time and to keep you feeling healthy.
- Exercise. Get out in nature and soak up some vitamin D. Obviously don’t expose yourself to the harsh sun for too long but get out and exercise for at least 30 minutes per day. Exercise is great for the cardiovascular system but also great for the mind and release of toxins from the lymphatic system.
- Include a green smoothie every day. Green vegetables actually aid in alkalising the body and promotes liver detoxification.
Try this yummy, alkalising smoothie: 1 ripe banana (preferably frozen) 1 stalk kale (stem removed) or handful baby spinach 1 Lebanese cucumber 1 celery stalk Filtered water or coconut water to cover ingredients. Blend all in a blend and drink!
There you have it, my simple tips to get you through this party season. I wish you all a very safe, happy and healthy Christmas.
See you all next year.
Melissa Hartshorn Nutritionist BHSc Nut. Med.
3/10 & 9/10 Wellington Street,
T 09 950 6801 F 09 950 6802